Percussion majors at Louisiana Tech University graduate with all the concepts and skills needed for careers in music or advanced degrees. Areas covered include music theory, music history, musicianship, improvisation, orchestration, arranging, conducting, and pedagogy.
Students may choose to concentrate in music performance or music education. They also have the option to pursue a liberal arts major in music with a selected minor. Coming soon is an innovative and interdisciplinary multimedia minor that will provide hands-on training for students with a career interest in music technology. In the private studio, students work with percussion faculty member Gregory Lyons to develop comprehensive musicianship on orchestral percussion, solo and chamber percussion, drum set, and world percussion.
Guest artists appearing at Tech in recent years include:
- Percussion Group Cincinnati (University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music)
- She-e Wu (Northwestern University)
- Leon Anderson (Florida State University)
- Stephen Hux (US Navy Pacific Fleet Band)
- Anders Åstrand
- Mantra Percussion
- Blake Tyson (University of Central Arkansas)
- line upon line
- T. Adam Blackstock (Troy University)
- Joshua Knight (McMurry University)
- Elizabeth Vidos (former member, STOMP)
- Darin Olson (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- David Wolf
- Nick Stange
A partial list of instruments available to students include:
- 5.0 Adams Alpha Series Marimba (New 2016)
- 5.0 Majestic Artist Series Marimba (New 2014)
- 5.0 Adams Artist Series Marimba
- 3.5 Yamaha Symphonic Xylophone (New 2013)
- 3.0 Adams Concert Vibraphone
- 2.6 Malletech "Infinity" Glockenspiel (New 2012)
- Adams Professional Generation II Polished Copper Timpani (New 2012)
- Mapex Saturn IV MH Exotic Jazz Drum Set (New 2014)
- To be a percussion major, click here.
- To be a non-major in the Drum Line or the Concert Bands, click here.
- For more audition information, click here or contact Dr. Lyons at firstname.lastname@example.org.