Department of Music
The Department of Music at Louisiana Tech is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and offers a full range of courses and performance opportunities for students wishing to continue their music education at the college level. Music majors select one of four possible concentrations: Performance, Music Education (Vocal or Instrumental), Composition, or Liberal Arts. Our mission is four-fold:
- To lay the foundation for personal growth in music performance, pedagogy, and education.
- To foster the development of knowledge, skills, achievement, and integrity in the field of music.
- To enrich the cultural life of the campus and surrounding communities.
- To maintain the highest quality of academic, performance, and professional standards for students and faculty
We welcome students from all majors to audition and participate in our performing ensembles. Visit the Audition Requirements page and the Prospective Students page to learn more about scheduling an audition.
Dr. Randall Sorensen, Coordinator of Music
James Alvey Smith Endowed Professorship
After a blind review by the Louisiana branch of the American Choral Directors Association, the Louisiana Tech University Chamber Singers have been invited to perform at the 2016 Louisiana ACDA State Convention in New Orleans onNovember 3-4. The Chamber Singers are under the direction of Assistant Professor of Music, Dr. John Petzet.
Kyle Collins (BM, 2013) was recently appointed Lecturer in Harpsichord at Baylor University. He completed his Master of Music in harpsichord performance at the University of North Texas and is currently working on a Graduate Artist Certificate in harpsichord performance also at UNT. Kyle earned a Bachelor of Music in piano performance at Tech.
- Faculty Recital: A Solo & Collaborative Concert
The Faculty Recital will take place on Thursday, October 13 at 7:30pm in Howard Auditorium.
- Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
The Grammy Award-winning Los Angeles Guitar Quartet (LAGQ) will perform on Monday, November 7 at 7:30pm in Howard Auditorium.