Department of Music
The Department of Music at Louisiana Tech is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and offers a full range of courses and performance opportunities for students wishing to continue their music education at the college level. Music majors select one of four possible concentrations: Performance, Music Education (Vocal or Instrumental), Composition, or Liberal Arts. Our mission is four-fold:
- To lay the foundation for personal growth in music performance, pedagogy, and education.
- To foster the development of knowledge, skills, achievement, and integrity in the field of music.
- To enrich the cultural life of the campus and surrounding communities.
- To maintain the highest quality of academic, performance, and professional standards for students and faculty
We welcome students from all majors to audition and participate in our performing ensembles. Visit the Audition Requirements page and the Prospective Students page to learn more about scheduling an audition.
Dr. Randall Sorensen, Coordinator of Music
James Alvey Smith Endowed Professorship
Anna Blake, a junior vocal music minor, was crowned Miss Tech 2017. In addition to being crowned Miss Tech, Blake received awards for the highest score in the pageant's talent and swimsuit competitions. She studies with Dr. Lisa Maxedon, the head of Vocal Studies. Her father, Mack, is a Tech alum who was very involved in the music department during his days at Tech. Her mom, Shayla, is on the music faculty. Anna will be representing LA Tech this summer at the Miss Louisiana Pageant.
After a blind review by the Louisiana branch of the American Choral Directors Association, the Louisiana Tech University Chamber Singers have been invited to perform at the 2016 Louisiana ACDA State Convention in New Orleans on November 3-4. The Chamber Singers are under the direction of Assistant Professor of Music, Dr. John Petzet.
- LTCA Rani Arbor & Daisy Mayhem: American Spiritual
The LTCA Ranu Arbor & Daisy Mayhem: American Spiritual Concert will take place on December 8 at 7:30pm in Howard Auditorium.