Department of Music
The Department of Music at Louisiana Tech is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and offers a full range of courses and performance opportunities for students wishing to continue their music education at the college level. Music majors select one of four possible concentrations: Performance, Music Education (Vocal or Instrumental), Composition, or Liberal Arts. Our mission is four-fold:
- To lay the foundation for personal growth in music performance, pedagogy, and education.
- To foster the development of knowledge, skills, achievement, and integrity in the field of music.
- To enrich the cultural life of the campus and surrounding communities.
- To maintain the highest quality of academic, performance, and professional standards for students and faculty
We welcome students from all majors to audition and participate in our performing ensembles. Visit the Audition Requirements page and the Prospective Students page to learn more about scheduling an audition.
Dr. Randall Sorensen, Coordinator of Music
James Alvey Smith Endowed Professorship
Larry Scott Williams, B.A. Instrumental Education '15, is the newly appointed Assistant Director of Bands at Bastrop High School.
Dr. Joe L. Alexander, Professor of Music, Head of Music Theory and Composition, performed his work "Infamy..." for the tuba and sound file (1996) at the Fifth Annual Electroacoustic Barn Dance hosted by the University of Mary Washington in Fredricksburg, VA on October 2, 2015
Mrs. Cory Craig, B.A. Instrumental Education ’14, was recently named Teacher of the Year at Herndon Middle Magnet School.
Vocal majors Bethany Cardenas, Emmie Lancon, and Elle Tyler were named semifinalists at the 40th Annual NATS Southern Region Conference on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Monroe on November 12-14, 2015.
- Winter Quarter 2015-16 events coming soon